Tennessee native Abner M. Becton moved to the Estacado area in the late 1890s. There, he met and wed Cornelia Bryant. The couple moved in 1898 to land in this area, where W.E. Bledsoe had already established a ranch. The small community became known as Becton, and this site served as a public cemetery. The first known burial took place in 1932, and the burial ground, maintained by Becton descendants, is active today. Graves include those of area veterans. The cemetery, surrounded by South Plains farmland, serves as a reminder of area settlers and the landscape they knew.